Analyze the weather yourself.
- What’s the current weather at your location and what does the current weather map or text forecast show?
- What did the previous forecasts show over a two-day period?
- What’s the trend: is it getting worse, getting better, staying the same?
- Where is the weather coming from in relation to where you are and where you’re going?
- Are there weather observations and/or buoy reports for areas you’ll pass through?
- Will the trip be near shore, offshore, or through areas where the expected weather may make conditions better or worse? Unless stated otherwise, marine wind and wave predictions are for the open sea.
- Will wind against tide conditions be an important consideration? (The waves in the photo at the top of the page are from a wind against tide situation near shore.)
- Are there safe harbors along the way if the weather deteriorates? Can you get into these harbors with the expected wind and sea conditions?